I want to welcome everyone to the Payson Unified School District (PUSD) website. PUSD has a long and proud tradition of excellence in education. Our professional, highly trained, and dedicated staff is committed to our students, families and community. Our teachers, staff, administrators, and governing board members are committed to providing the best education experiences possible for our students. Their commitment will help give all of our students a foundation for success during these important school years and beyond.
PUSD prides itself in the varied and extensive opportunities that are available to our students in our six schools. Students can access these opportunities at Payson Elementary School (PES), Julia Randall Elementary School (JRE), Rim Country Middle School (RCMS), Payson High School (PHS), Payson Center for Success (PCS), and Payson Center For Success –Online (PCS-Online). Opportunities available in our schools include, but are not limited to:
- A comprehensive curriculum designed to prepare students for college or a career.
- Career and Technical Education courses, offered by PHS or NAVIT, that lead directly to certification and high paying jobs in a variety of professions.
- 12 AP classes are offered at the PHS. Each year the number of classes taught will depend on if enough students sign up for the classes.
- The District offers five dual enrollment classes with Gila Community College. $250 scholarships are available for all students who take the courses to help cover the tuition cost of these Dual Enrollment courses.
- Online classes that meet the needs of learners that are not met in the traditional classroom.
- An award winning fine arts department offering music, drama, and band in grades 5-12.
- Championship athletics that offer 14 boy’s and girl’s sports at PHS and 12 boy’s and girl’s sports at RCMS.
- Clubs from 3rd grade to 12th grade that allow students to explore their interests.
- High school clubs, such as FFA, DECA and FBLA that provide opportunities to compete at the state and national level.
- A Big Brother/Big Sister program that pairs high school students with students in 3rd through 5th grade.
- Student leadership opportunities that prepare them to engage in their community and make a difference by having their voice heard.
PUSD strives to provide all students with the rigor necessary to meet the challenges at the next level of their education. At the same time it is our goal to provide a comprehensive educational experience that meets the academic, social and emotional needs of students. As a result of this educational experience our students have been successful at the local, state and national level. Our graduates are successful after high school in four-year universities, community colleges, trade schools, the armed services, and the work force.
Thank you for taking time to explore our website and learn more about the academic and extracurricular programs we offer in the Payson Unified School District. I encourage you to become familiar with this site, and to use it often to retrieve information on our district and your child's school. We have included cafeteria menus, district, school and activities calendars, departmental information, tutorials and links to help students and parents, and the exceptional news and photos that represent our PUSD community. In addition, we have links to community partners, local and statewide, that are committed to our educational mission. A strong partnership between home and school will help to provide our students with the education that they deserve.
Greg Wyman, EdD